Steve began working with the Pitman church in August, 2007. He has brought a wealth of ministry experience to us: children's, youth, and adult ministries, Children's Home work, and teaching experience from the pre-school to university levels.
Steve and his twelve (yes, twelve!) siblings were raised by parents who worked in Christian Children's Homes for over 35 years. Steve received his B.A. and M.A. in Education from Harding (1974, 1975). Later, Steve completed a master's equivalent and his PhD in Human Performance at Indiana University (IU). Steve has thirteen years of teaching experience at the college level for IU and York College, in York, NE. Steve's childhood and ministry experiences impressed on him that many families are in need of "wounded healing." So, in 1992, Steve obtained a Master's Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from Abilene Christian University in Abilene, TX.
Steve and Patti Klein Sikes have been married for 39 years (December 30) and have four children and 3 grandchildren.
Mary, Did You Know?
May 19, 2012
Last Sunday, I presented a Mother’s Day lesson on Mary, the mother of Jesus. The morning service was bursting with activity: the handing out of carnations to mothers, gifts to various moms, and calling up three of our young families to receive the family blessing.
A point I wanted to make and didn’t have time to develop was Mary’s unique relationship with Jesus! Many mothers have unique relationships with their children, but none more than Mary with Jesus. Max Lucado best illustrates this fact in his book, God Came Near, via his “TWENTY –FIVE QUESTIONS FOR MARY.” Here’s a sampling:
1. What was it like watching Him pray?
2. When He saw a rainbow, did He ever mention a flood?
3. Did you ever feel awkward teaching Him how He created the world?
4. When He saw a lamb being led to the slaughter, did He act differently?
5. Did you ever see Him with a distant look on His face as if He were listening to someone you couldn't hear?
6. How did He act at funerals?
7. Did the thought ever occur to you that the God to whom you were praying was asleep under your own roof?
8. Did you ever try to count the stars with Him....and succeed?
9. Did He ever have to ask a question about Scripture?
10. What do you think He thought when He saw a prostitute offering to the highest bidder the body He made?
11. Did you ever catch Him pensively looking at the flesh on His own arm while holding a clod of dirt?
12. When someone referred to Satan, how did He act?
13. Did you ever accidentally call Him Father?
14. What did He and His cousin John talk about as kids?
15. Did you ever think, That's God eating my soup?
Thank you again, Christian moms, for being salt and light! This world is a better place because of your godly influence!
God is good.